Friday, August 05, 2005

On Classroom Routine

Why is it only with the Grade 7? It is only with my Grade 7 class that I have the habit of writing down the class outline on the board. They are not even that hard to discipline. Whenever I enter the Grade 7 classroom, I try to write the outline on the board so that we could finish the class on time and finish what we are supposed to tackle for that period. I probably do this because this class has a tendency to divert from the topic. They always ask questions that will veer the discussion away from the topic. They would start relating the lesson to concrete situations with their “It’s like…” and “Parang yung…” Then another will try to add to it and another and another and another until we are already talking about the latest movie! It’s good that the students comprehend the lesson and apply it to their lives but I guess not so much. So I have to look at the board again and try to cut the story-telling with utmost refinement. See why I need an outline for this class?

Usually, I begin my classes with 5-question quizzes based on the reading assignment given to them last meeting. This is a technique I learned in college. It really helped me read the handouts before class (and actually taught me how to read and understand fast as well!). I am quite sure that even if this technique does not push them to read the handouts, it will take effect sooner or later. Actually, this class did not need anymore quizzes to make them read because they read the stories beforehand. They probably do this because the story was interesting—or how simple it was translated. (We are taking up “The Adventures of Ulysses.) I do the same with the higher levels. With the first years, I don’t see it working. I would always get scores ranging from 0 and 2. Only 2 or 3 students get the most 4 correct out of 5. They still do not read! I realized because they are reading “The Iliad” translated by W.H.D. Rouse. I have to admit that I personally do not like the way this version is printed: small font, single-spaced, brown paper, dark ink, and no pictures. The class confessed finally that they did not like how the book was written. Then I thought that it would be better for them to use the Fitzgerald version of “The Iliad.” (I suggested it to the authorities and I think they are going to take it.) Of course, I cannot blame the book for their laziness to read the book. I also have a fault on my part. I probably was not able to motivate them enough to read it. I did try my best to share with them my enthusiasm for the epic but it just would not get through them! They are just too interested in love and not in war.

The second years are a different case. I seldom give them quizzes because they read on their own. They just have a natural interest in the selections. Even without the quiz, they are able to read the handouts. I have to admit that some are not able to read, but are able to contribute to the discussion because they can follow very well. Since we were discussing the Prologue of the Canterbury Tales, it was easy for them to read during the class itself. (The Prologue is an enumeration and description of the different pilgrims.) We only discuss two or three pilgrims a day. Come to think of it, maybe because my questions are also answerable without having to read the selection. Is that bad? Maybe…

After the quiz, we start the discussion. At times, I would write the questions that need to be answered on the board so the students are guided properly. Hey, I think this is a very good classroom routine for Literature classes. In this way, the students anticipate the questions to be discussed and the flow of the discussion in general. This could also help the slower ones by giving them enough time to think about the answers to the questions and be able to participate. I would also regularly have group works. This is something that the students like. It helps them talk in a smaller group. This makes everyone participate in one way or another: either to talk or to just simply listen to the ideas of others.

Then I end the discussion by summarizing the ideas that came out during the discussion then assigning the reading for next meeting. Sometimes, I also give them an idea on what the discussion would be about for next meeting. Something just crossed my mind…it is good to give guide questions for their reading assignment so they have a direction to take as they read the chapter assigned to them. I never got the habit of giving them guide questions. This is probably something I neglected and could have contributed to a good or better discussion on the stories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home