Thursday, October 12, 2006

Talking to an Atheist

Yesterday afaternoon, while my students were busy fixing their Reading
Corner for the competition, a student of mine called my attention
saying that "how can Jesus feed 5,000 people with just 5 loaves and 2
fish?". Of course, my adrenalin rushed out to explain to my
self-proclaimed atheist student that it is because it was a miracle.
God does exist. He counterargued saying that science cannot explain
that, therefore, it is not true. It couldn't have possibly happened. I
have tried all arguments philosophical and theological, but typical of
atheist, he was closed to any dialogue about the thought that God may
exist.

His
point is that everything is based on science. I asked him to look
around him, and see the grandeur of the structure of the universe, and
he said, "Miss, it's all the art of science." Even if I asked him if he
actually believes that science created the tree, he would not budge and
just be convinced that everything is science. I asked him who created
science, and he said, science.

The problem with the way he
thinks is that science does not create. They invent. They discover what
already exists, and try to reinvent what is already created. Science
synthesizes parts of creation to make some new things like a space ship
or a car or a skateboard.

I am not saying the science is not
right. It is right when it only deals what it can. Theology and
philosophy studies the abstract things of love, happiness, sorrow.
Science studies the physical world, the non-abstract world.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home