Friday, August 05, 2005

Relating with the Students

I have always wondered why my students are in a state of stupor whenever I ask "why" questions and require them to speak in English until what happened today.

The High school faculty had a meeting this afternoon. They announced that August will the be "Buwan ng Wika" and everybody agreed to have the meeting done in Tagalog. Yipes! I thought I'd carry along well since I spent 16 years of my life talking in Tagalog. But when I was about to ask a question regarding the Coordinator's presentation, conscious that I should speak in Tagalog, I found myself grappling with the language. I was about to raise my hand, but then immediately withdrew it because I realized I couldn't translate my question to tagalog. As soon as it struck me, I gave up. I actually gave up on my own question. I was never able to ask the question no matter how important that I get an answer for my question was.

[I just couldn't believe it! I couldn't speak well in tagalog anymore. It requires more effort for me to speak in tagalog than to speak in english. When I was in high school, I had to translate my tagalog thoughts into english before I could recite. Things are not the opposite: I have to translate my english thoughts into tagalog! Eeeps!]

And with this incident, I could not understand my students who may be having a hard time reciting in class. They probably have ideas to share but it is just that they are in tagalog and could not translate them into english well. I am sure they can translate it but it will require time and effort on their part. This means that I will have to give them more thinking time so that they are more able to participate during class discussions. Perhaps, I could give them guide questions to bring home before we discuss a selection in class.

Yup! That's it. That's what I'll do. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home